I will regularly update the work in progress of my year-residency, currently taking place, at NODO house, by No Lugar, Arte Contemporáneo, in my hometown, Quito-Ecuador.
The aim is to create a series of photographic and written sculptures (using text as a link between the material and digital realm), that will be part of a photographic installation that presents the characteristics of the “digital self” based on its Manifesto.
I will use “form” as a metaphor of the contemporary condition of the digital narcissus, that lives in its own world. I will create a portrait each month of the residency.
I want to reinterpret the post-digital notion with elements coming from a screen, or from an analogue machine, and also from a sculpture and make them coexist together, using this tension to create coherencies and incoherencies typical from the Post-Internet idea.
The digital self. A Manifesto
- The digital self is defined through interaction and without it, no longer exists.
- The digital self oscillates with its constant online performance, it does not have a single shape.
- The digital self seeks stardom through a potential increasing audience.
- The digital self needs affirmation, attention, something real.
- Ignorance is a condition of the digital self.
- The digital self, it is a slave of social media, an app bitch.
- The digital self believes in its repetitive single condition.
- The digital self does not have control on its own information, once it is out there, it is out there and then, who knows?
- The digital self comes off to defend or offend what it believes.
If you want to check more regular updates of my project please go to this link: (bear in mind the text is in Spanish at the moment, as I am doing the residency in Ecuador).